Tips and Home Remedies for Strong Healthy Hair
Healthy bouncy hair is desire of every woman. But with constant exposure to harsh environmental pollutants and chemicals, hair problems like hair loss, premature graying, dull and lifeless hair is quite common. A lot of pampering is required along with vital nutrients to restore their lusciousness. Therefore to transform dull unattractive hair into long luscious hair is not that difficult and there you can find handful of ingredients in your kitchen that can do this job perfectly. Lets have a look to some natural home based solutions that can help you have strong healthy hair.
What causes hair loss, dull and lifeless hair?
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Excess exposure to air pollution
- Poor daily hair care
- High chemical content in hair products used
Home Remedies for Healthy Hair
These are some simple home remedies with commonly available ingredients from kitchen that makes a way for healthy hair with less cost and no hair damage.
Being rich in potassium, bananas makes good source for healthy and thick hair. They help in improving the elasticity and natural health of hair. (Banana is also good for skin, check out here Benefits of banana for skin)
- Mash the ripe banana in a bowl and apply directly in hair from root to tip of the hair. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it with mild shampoo.
- Ripen banana mash along with one teaspoon of honey when applied on hair makes wonders
Protein treatment is must for healthy hair and egg nourishes your hair perfectly. Eggs help in stronger and shinier hair. You can read more benefits of egg white for hair)
- Beat 2-3 eggs depend on the length of the hair. Apply this on hair and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat this for about once or twice a week for quick result.
- Mix egg yolk with one table spoon of olive oil or castor oil to form thin paste which is applied on hair. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
3. Olive oil
Vitamin E is abundantly present in olive oil which increases volume of hair. It also helps in strengthening and softening of hair.
- Massage the hair and scalp with warm olive oil and leave it for 30-40 minutes or even overnight for its effective absorption. Wash it off with regular shampoo.
- Mix olive oil with honey and apply this paste on hair from root to tip and allow to stand for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Olive oil mixed with lemon juice is applied on hair removes dandruff and controls hair fall
4. Indian gooseberry or Amla
Using amla in hair treatments is ancient method which is very effective to achieve healthy long hair. Amla acts as power house for antioxidants and Vitamin c which promotes healthy hair along with pigmentation of the hair.
- Boil coconut oil along with amla powder until oil turns black. Massage your scalp with this oil and allow to stand overnight for effective results. It helps to control hair loss
- Mix 2 tea spoons of amla powder with lemon juice. Apply this paste on hair and scalp and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse it with shampoo.
- Amla powder is mixed with aloe vera for lustrous hair in no time. In addition, drinking amla juice is also recommended for hair health.
5. Fenugreek seeds
They serve as a good source of nicotinic acid which aids in hair growth and protects the natural hair color.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and blend to thick paste. Apply this on hair and allow to stand for an hour. Wash it with luke warm water. This helps to get rid dandruff and hair loss.
- Take 2 spoons of fenugreek paste and mix it with 2 teaspoons of coconut milk or oil. Apply this on hair and leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Fenugreek paste along with lemon juice also controls hair fall.
These berries are rich in omega-3 fatty acids along with magnesium and copper which makes natural conditioner and are excellent for silky and lustrous hair.
- Blend 8 strawberries into smooth paste and then mix it with one tablespoon of mayonnaise. Apply this paste on hair and let it stay for a 10 minutes before washing off with good shampoo and conditioner.
Rich in abundant nutrients and Vitamins, they help in nourishing hair and moisturize hair. Vitamin E promotes health of hair shaft. Avocado are used as whole fruit or in the form of oil since from ancient times.
- Mix one Mashed avocado, banana and one table spoon of olive oil in a bowl. Massage this paste onto scalp and allow it to stand for about 30 minutes for effective absorption of the paste into hair. Wash it off with water.
- Ripen mashed avocado is mixed with 2 tablespoons of wheat germ oil. Apply this onto hair and allow it dry for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with good shampoo.
In addition,include avocado in your diet for added advantages for your skin, hair and health. Also check these avocado face masks.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one stop solution for all hair woes. It cleans, nourishes and protects the hair from damage. Aloe Vera balances PH level of scalp make it free from irritation and dryness and dandruff.
- Extract the gel from aloe Vera leaves and rub this gel on the scalp and allow to remain for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with Luke warm water. Practice this once or twice in a week for visible effects.
- Aloe Vera gel is mixed with wheat germ oil and coconut milk. Apply this paste on hair and rinse it off after an hour.
- Aloe vera gel is blended with two teaspoons of castor oil, fenugreek powder and one teaspoon of basil powder into a thick paste. Apply this on hair and allow it to stand for for an hour and then wash it off.
9. Henna Leaves
Many artificial henna products are available in market but henna prepared in home is more effective. Henna leaves helps to get thick hair naturally and also makes dry and dull hair to soft and shiny hair. It promotes hair growth by strengthening the roots of the hair.
- Grind one cup of fresh henna leaves into smooth paste and then apply it onto hair from root to tip of the hair. Cover the hair with shower cp and allowed to sit for an hour. Wash off your hair with mild shampoo.
- Henna pack is made by mixing sufficient amount of henna powder in decoction of green tea to form smooth paste. Keep it overnight. Next day add little lemon juice and one egg to it. Mix well and apply onto hair. Wash it off after it completely dries. Yogurt can also be added.
Curd or yogurt is an excellent remedy for preventing hair damage along with improving quality and volume of hair.
- Apply curd directly on your hair and allow it to stand for 15 minutes and then wash off thoroughly.
- Beat one egg white with 2 table spoons of curd. Apply this onto hair and allow to stand for 30 minutes before washing it off.
- Equal quantities of curd and honey are mixed and are applied onth hair. Lemon juice can also be added. This mask moisturizes and nourishes hair in a natural way.
11. Neem Treatment
Neem has medically proven benefits for hair growth and acts against dandruff and lice. It is also used t treat split ends and dry hair. Every part of neem tree like leaves, seeds, branches, fruits and flowers has medicinal value. You can read more about uses and benefits of neem.
- Simple way to use neem is boil handful of leaves until it reduces to half of intial quantity. Rinse hair with this solution twice a week for healthier hair.
- Neem oil promotes hair growth. Massage the neem oil onto scalp and leave overnight. Wash thoroughly next morning.
Some Additional Tips for Healthy Hair
Besides these wonderful home remedies, follow these tips to avoid hair fall and keep your hair healthy and shining.
- Protect your hair from sun and pollution
- Regular conditioning of hair is a must
- Do not comb wet hair
- While drying, don’t apply over heat as it causes hair to make dry and frizzy.
- Massage the scalp frequently
- Best to use satin pillow covers to avoid hair damage
- Brush the hair effectively
- Don’t change hair products frequently
- Regular hair care is a must
- Avoid hot water. Lukewarm is safest
- Avoid frequent shampooing
What foods are good for hair health?
A proper diet also play an important role for your skin and hair health. Here are the foods which are good for hair health.
- Foods to prevent hair fall: Eggs, raw meat, salmon, tofu, cottage cheese, Green vegetables and legumes.
- Foods for hair growth: flax seeds, chicken, oats, dry fruits and nuts
- Foods for shiny hair: Legumes, citrus fruits, broccoli, Mangoes, avocados
- Foods to treat split ends and dandruff: Walnuts, Blue berries, Fish oil, and sweet potatoes.