Simple Tips to Lose Weight Naturally
I keep trying to lose weight … but it keeps finding me... (Author Unknown)
Weight loss has been the perennial mantra going around the world since time immemorial, so much so that weight loss programs, whether it is the gyms with their personal fitness trainers, or the numerous procedures like liposuction, and other therapies, have become a highly lucrative business. But why waste money on such fast track weight loss programs when there are numerous ways of losing that flab the natural way. Eating the proper food, exercising and handling stress the positive way will eventually go a long way in helping you losing those extra kilos.
Weight Loss Diet
“Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose.” (Karl Lagerfeld)
To eat or not to eat? That is the most gut wrenching question for the weight watchers. Follow these natural tips for a healthy weight loss.
What to eat?
1. Eat foods that are high in fibre, since they take longer to digest and make you ‘feel full’ for a longer time. Fruits like apples, pears; vegetables including broccoli and peas, nuts and legumes like almonds and lentils and grains like whole wheat breads and barley are some foods rich in fibre content.
2. Fat Fighters:
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and two teaspoons of lemon juice to a cup of luke warm water and drink every morning on an empty stomach. This is a highly effective digestive and detox tonic.
- Green Tea can help you lose weight by speeding up your metabolism. (Read more on green tea for weight loss)
- Dark chocolate is also good in keeping the calories at bay.
What Not to Eat?
- Keep away from fried snacks like samosas, potato chips and other fried foods which are very fattening and lead to obesity.
- Avoid carbonated drinks, as fizzy drinks contain ‘empty calories’.
- Do not eat too many sweets, chocolates or pastries which are loaded with calories.
When to Eat?
- Do not skip breakfast. Include foods that are rich in fibre and protein. Try to include in your breakfast menu, fruits or fresh fruit juice, eggs, peanut butter, whole wheat bread and oats.
- Eat smaller quantities of food at regular intervals and give at least four hour gaps before each meal. Fresh vegetable salads, fruits and nuts are good options to keep weight issues at bay.
- Have an early dinner to help the food to digest before you go to bed.
- Always have your meals while seated at the dining table. Use a smaller plate and spoon to ensure you eat smaller amounts. Eat slowly and chew your food well.
When Not to Eat?
- Do not snack while watching TV.
- Avoid midnight raids on the refrigerator or late night binges.
Burn those Calories
Move those muscles. Exercise is the most powerful tool that allows you to lose weight naturally. Exercise does not necessarily mean going to the gym and working out on a treadmill or other fancy equipment. There are plenty of opportunities available at home and at our workplace which will help us lose the flab.
- Use the stairs instead of the lift, at home and also at office.
- Brisk walking is recommended not only to lose weight but for controlling diabetes as well. Try to walk at least 3000-4000 steps a day.
- Dancing and aerobics is an excellent way to lose weight. Just put on the music and let the feet feel the beat!
- On weekends head to the nearest pool and dive in. Swimming is also an effective way to burn extra calories.
- Invest in a bicycle. Cycling is a good exercise; it is also a smart way to reduce pollution. Make it a point to cycle to work at least thrice a week.
- Spare at least fifteen minutes each morning before breakfast to do some simple exercises like squats, crunches and other leg and arm exercises. You could even try jogging in front of the TV while watching your favourite show.
Set your goal
- Do not attempt to go on a crash weight reduction plan, as you will very soon put back those extra kilos as soon as you stop dieting. Instead try to lose weight gradually- maybe one kilo per week.
- Keep a weighing scale and an inch tape handy and keep a regular written record of your progress, at least for the first few months.
Stay Positive, avoid negative thoughts, and most importantly, be patient – excess weight cannot be lost in a day; persevere and make small changes to your lifestyle. This is probably the mantra to a more slim and beautiful you.