How to treat scalp acne?
Scalp Acne is one of the most frustrating things that not only causes itching but if left untreated, may lead to hair loss. Fortunately, there are a lot of remedies, and medications that can help treat it. For treating scalp acne completely, you need to understand what lead to it in the first place. Now if you have long hair, you might not wash your hair every other day. So not cleansing your scalp regularly may lead to the growth of bacteria on your scalp.
So, if you oil your hair quite often or have an oily scalp make sure to rinse it out using a gentle shampoo to prevent scalp acne. If you are suffering from it, these home remedies for scalp acne will surely help you.
Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne
- Vinegar Rinse – Apple cider vinegar is a great solution for itching scalp and acne. A large tablespoon of vinegar added to a mug of water should be used as the final rinse for your hair. This works by regulating the pH of your scalp, thus making it a less favorable place for the bacteria. You can do this once every week to treat the existing scalp pimples and also preventing them from coming back.
- Henna Mask – Now henna is believed to treat dandruff, itchy scalp and improve the overall health of hair. So use a henna mask by making a smooth paste with water. Cover your scalp and hair with it and leave it on for 30 minutes before you rinse it out. Here you can find more tips and benefits of henna for hair.
- Fenugreek Mask – Fenugreek seeds as well as leaves are no doubt one of the healthiest foods. But many of us do not know its amazing benefits for hair health. Both seeds and leaves can be used to treat scalp acne. If you can get your hands on fenugreek leaves, crush them with some water until they form a paste and apply it on the affected areas. And if you’re using the seeds, soak them in water overnight and blend them the next day. You can use it the same way to treat your acne.
- Neem Pack – Neem is loaded with anti-bacterial properties. It helps cleanse and detoxify your scalp. For the best results, crush neem leaves in a blender with some water to get a thick paste. Apply this paste in thick layer on the affected areas. Leave them on for a few hours or until it dries and sheds away.
Tips to get rid of Scalp Acne
- Use an Anti-Dandruff shampoo. Now you may not have dandruff but these shampoos contain substances like ketoconazole, which fights fungi that may be present on your scalp.
- Do not squeeze the pimples on your scalp. When you pop a pimple, it spreads the bacteria in the nearby area, which may lead to more acne. So make sure you keep your hands off your scalp.
- Avoid heavy styling products. The products with an oily texture will lead to more pimples. So avoid gels, wax and other heavy oil products for a while.
- Wash your hair every other day. A dirty scalp is bound t promote more acne, so you need to keep your scalp free from any dirt and oils.
- Shorten your hair. Now longer hair is more prone to bacteria as there is less room for your scalp to breathe. Also if you oil your hair regularly, you might be better off with shorter hair for a while.
- Avoid sharing towels, brushes or comb. For obvious reasons, sharing items of personal hygiene might not be such a good idea if you’re trying to get rid of scalp acne.
- Avoid using Conditioners. Conditioners are supposed to replace the moisture that you remove while shampooing. So they have a high oil content which may not be favorable if you have scalp acne. Now if you use a gentle shampoo, you might not even feel the need to condition your hair.
- You can try Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid. These might be available without a prescription, but you should see a dermatologist in case you get any side effects.