Dry Hair Care Solutions
Everyone wish to have smooth, silky and healthy hair whether it is short, long, curly or straight hair. But unfortunately everyone does not have the perfect hair and face various haircare problems like dandruff, dry hair, oily hair, hair greying and split ends. Hair is made of three layers. The outer layer which protect inner layers when get damaged causes dry and dull hair. Hair follicles are connected to sebaceous glands which secrete oil onto hair shaft and maintain moisture of the scalp and hair. When natural oil get removed from hair during activities like sun bath, swimming in chlorinated water, overuse of dryers and other hair styling products end up making hair dry, dull, lifeless and shine less.
Dry and unhealthy hair leads to premature and heavy hair fall. Both women and men can suffer from dry and dull hair irrespective of age.
Causes for Dry Hair
- Hereditary problems
- Some medical conditions and medicines used for its treatments.
- Cuticle damage
- Overexposure to sunlight and pollution
- Swimming in chlorinated water
- Overuse of blow dryers and other styling products
- No proper hair care while washing
- Excess chemical products present in dyes and other products used for hair
- Harsh shampoos used for hair which contain high amount of chemicals that cause hair damage
- Dehydration especially in summers
- Skipping conditioners
Signs and symptoms of Dry hair
It is very hard to comb and manage dry hair. Some signs and symptoms to identify dry hair are:
- Hair looks dull and damaged
- Lack of luster and shine in hair
- Split ends
- Hair breakage
- Heavy hair fall
- Tangled hair
- Itchy scalp
- Brittle and harsh texture
- Heavy hair fall
Tips to Prevent Dry Hair
- Use mild and natural hair care products
- Wash hair every other day to lock moisture and natural oils
- Protect the hair exposing to direct sunlight and pollution by caps or umbrellas
- Don’t brush hair all the time. Comb it only two times i.e. in morning and night
- Keep hair moisturized using conditioners
- Use less heat while using hot rollers, flat irons and blow dryers
- Avoid products containing alcohol that makes hair dry and dull
- Take supplements like biotin and vitamin A and E which makes hair healthy
- Maintaining good and nutritious diet is must as it helps in maintaining hair healthy. Include more green leafy vegetables, fruits, vegetables and dry fruits in your daily diet
- Follow healthy lifestyle without stress and anger
- Do exercise and yoga which helps in elimination of harmful toxins from the body through sweat
There are numerous ways to replenish hair and make it soft and shiny with help of expert professionals in hair spas but they are most expensive and require regular sessions. They are many effective and exclusive home remedies which treat dry hair and make them soft and shiny on regular use with very less cost and no side effects.
The best place for home remedies is kitchen where you can find many ingredients and safe remedies which help to restore natural moisture of hair and make hair shiny and soft.
Dry Hair Care Tips and Home Remedies
It is most popular home remedy to treat dry hair as it is enriched with Vitamin E and antioxidants. These help to heal damaged hair by sealing cuticle and locks moisture preventing dry hair.
- Warm required olive oil in a cup or bowl and apply it thoroughly onto scalp and hair shafts
- Massage gently for 5-10 minutes for effective absorption
- Cover the hair with warm towel or shower cap for about 30 minutes or even overnight
- At last shampoo and condition the hair containing mild chemicals
- Do this regularly for about twice a week to give nourishment to hair and restore natural balance.
Instead of Olive oil you can also use coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil and corn oil for hair treatment and care.
They are rich in Vitamins, essential fatty acids and minerals which help to restore natural shine and luster of hair. They are highly beneficial for dry and damaged hair as it locks moisture.
- Mash ripen avocado with egg in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Apply onto hair and leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and shampoo
- Repeat this remedy once a week for healthy and soft hair
Yogurt is a natural conditioner for dry hair as it is rich in proteins that make hair soft and silky.
- Apply whole yogurt onto hair and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Shampoo your hair followed by good conditioner
- Add olive oil or mustard oil to yogurt in a bowl and apply it on scalp and hair. Leave it for 30 minutes before washing with shampoo
Milk is a natural blend of proteins, vitamins and fats which act as a nutrient to the body and also help in maintaining natural moisture when applied onto hair.
- Take required quantity of unboiled milk in a bowl
- Apply it to hair and scalp with the help of cotton ball
- Rinse it off with water after an hour or 30 minutes to heal dry and dull hair
Beer contains proteins which help in repairing damaged cuticles and nourish hair follicles. It is an excellent conditioner which helps in maintaining moisture making hair soft and shiny.
- Spray little quantity of beer on freshly shampooed hair
- Allow to dry the hair naturally to enjoy smooth and silky hair
The rich content of potassium and moisture present in bananas helps to prevent split ends and treats dry and damaged hair. It softens and improves elasticity of hair preventing hair fall
- Mash one ripe banana and spread onto hair from top to bottom of hair tresses
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water after an hour or 30 minutes
- Repeat this once in a week for effective results
- You can also add almond oil and honey to the mashed banana for smooth and shiny hair
Aloe Vera is a wonder herb with rich amount of minerals, vitamins and amino acids adding great benefit to dry and damaged hair. It helps in maintaining natural moisture of the hair and protects from dryness and hair damage.
- Mix aloe Vera gel to two tea spoons of castor oil and fenugreek powder and one teaspoon of basil powder
- Mix the ingredients well and apply the paste onto hair and cover it with shower cap
- Leave it overnight and shampoo the hair in the next morning
- Do this at least once in a week for visible good effects within a month
Honey is most simple and effective home remedy for treating dry and dull hair. Honey helps to restore natural moisture of hair and make hair soft, shiny and well nourished.
- Apply required amount of honey to freshly washed , damp hair and massage into scalp
- Cover your hair with shower cap for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water using good conditioner
- Do this 2-3 times a week for effective results in very less time
- You can alternatively add honey to your regular conditioner after shampooing hair for best results
Eggs acts as good source of protein and lecithin which help to strengthen and repair damaged and dry hair. It makes hair shine and soft by adding moisture.
- Whip one egg white and add little lukewarm water. Massage this mixture to damp hair and scalp in circular motion for 10-15 minutes
- Wash your hair with shampoo followed by regular conditioner
- Do this 2-3 times a week for glossy and soft hair within a month or two
- You can also add olive oil and honey to the whipped eggs and apply the mask onto hair followed by mild shampoo.
[Also read: Benefits of egg white for hair]
The high content of nutrients and emollient rich properties of sesame oil helps to combat dryness and damage of hair. It helps by protecting and healing outer damaged layer causing dryness. The antibacterial, anti microbial and anti inflammatory properties of sesame oil helps in preventing hair loss.
- Add some grated ginger to 3-4 spoons of sesame oil in a bowl
- Massage it onto scalp and hair for 5-10 minutes with finger tips in circular motion
- Wrap the hair with warm towel or shower cap for about 15 minutes
- Finally shampoo the hair followed by conditioner
- Repeat this at least once in a week for healthy and nourished hair
Curry leaves not only add flavor to food but also treats damaged and dry hair. The high content of calcium, vitamins, phosphorous and iron helps to nourish hair and makes it healthy.
- Heat required amount of coconut oil with 5-6 curry leaves in it
- Allow to cool and massage it on scalp and hair for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Do this frequently for smooth and healthy hair
Vinegar helps to remove built up residue left by shampoos and other hair products, which is the main reason for dry hair. It also helps in restoring natural PH of the scalp and prevents itching and dandruff.
- Mix two cups of water with one and half cup of vinegar in a bowl
- Massage this solution onto hair after shampooing
- Leave it for about an hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this once in a week to prevent dry hair
- Apple cider Vinegar can also be used to treat dry hair
Treat dry and dull hair with above simple home remedies and make hair soft and shiny. Along with these home remedies, healthy diet and regular exercise help combat the dry hair problem and maintain natural moisture balance.