Excellent Benefits of Chamomile Tea for Health and Beauty
Chamomile tea is a derivative of chamomile flower, which belongs to the family Asteraceae. Since ages it is known for its benefits for to cope with various ailments and disorders. This golden color tea has fruity aromatic odour which offers innumerable benefits for skin, hair and health. The active ingredient in chamomile tea is a apigenin flavonoid which has antioxidant, anti inflammatory and anti tumor properties.
Nutritional facts of chamomile tea
Chamomile tea contains no fat, cholesterol and sugar, and is serves as a good source of carbohydrates, iron, potassium, zinc and other vital vitamins required for effective function of the body.
How to pick and store Chamomile tea
- Dried chamomile flowers can be bought from herbal store or grocery.
- It is preferable to pick flowers which have flower head to get most benefits from them.
- Natural way of making tea is better than readymade or ready to make products. As they use preservatives and other chemicals to store for long time.
- Keep the tea in air tight containers in dry place away from direct sunlight.
Preparation of Chamomile tea
There are many chamomile tea brands are available in market in form of tea bags or powder.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers or one tea bag in one cup of hot water.
- Allow to infuse for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain it to remove dried flowers. In case of tea bag just remove the infused bag.
- Add honey and lemon juice to it as per the taste.
- Serve hot and relish the taste.
Over the years, chamomile tea is considered as one of the healthiest and soothing herbal tea which gained trust across the countries. It is often used as a natural remedy in home for its healing and soothing nature.
Benefits of Chamomile tea for health
- Cold and flu relief: Chamomile strengthens the immune system and helps to fight against the cold due to its antibacterial properties.
- Insomnia: Due to its relaxing and soothing properties, chamomile helps to improve sleep when taken before going to sleep. Read here some more natural remedies for good sleep.
- Menstrual Pain: Chamomile tea has muscle relaxing properties. It helps to relaxes the uterus and gives relief from menstrual pain by increasing glycine content which reduces muscle spasms.
- Digestive aid: It helps in dealing with many digestion related problems. It soothens stomach pain and relieves irritable bowel syndrome. Chamomile tea along with peppermint is used to improve digestion.
- Hemorrhoids: Chamomile tea helps to reduce anal inflammation caused by of hemorrhoids or piles and stops small hemorrhages to further increasing. To prepare this hemorrhoids remedy, boil some chamomile leaves in water for 10 minutes. When it cools down, use it to clean hemorrhoids for as long as required.
- Healing wounds: The antibacterial properties of chamomile tea helps to heal wounds faster. Cooled chamomile tea bags are applied on wounds for instant relief.
- Diabetes: Chamomile tea helps to maintain glucose levels in the body and therefore used in controlling diabetes.
- Anti-oxidants: Chamomile tea is a rich source of anti oxidants. They help fight against free radicals which causes skin damage and imparts healthy and younger looking skin.
Hair Care with Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea also offers some great hair care benefits.
- Chamomile tea brightens up the blonde hair instantly. It gives natural highlights for dark hair when combined with henna.
- Lightens the hair color when chamomile tea is used as a final rinse gives natural golden light to brown hair.
- Chamomile tea helps to control dandruff and soothes itchy scalp. Dip the cotton swab in tea and rub on the scalp and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse it off thoroughly with cold water.
Benefits of chamomile tea for skin
Owing to its soothing, antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties, chamomile tea shows a wide range of skin care benefits. Both fresh and dried leaves are used for making tea to cure number of skincare problems.
Chamomile tea for acne
Chamomile tea helps to fight against acne and fade them away. While drinking chamomile tea helps control acne formation, applying it topically works great in healing acne and pimples. For topical use, it is brewed and the solution is applied on acne gently.
Chamomile tea is a excellent natural skin bleach which lightens the skin and imparts a natural glow. It helps to tighten pores and soften your skin when used continuously for 2-3 weeks. They even helps to fade spots and acne scars.
- 2-3 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers are boiled in one cup of water for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and remove flowers. Add honey and rose water to the solution. Apply it on the face and neck area and allowed to stay for 20 minutes. Rinse of with cold water and enjoy lighter and softer skin.
Effective for sunburns
Chamomile tea shows soothing action which is used to treat sunburns and skin irritation when applied topically on the affected area. Here are some excellent home remedies for sunburn.
Chamomile tea can be mixed with sugar and olive oil which acts as good scrub for face and body removing dead skin and adding natural glow.
The anti inflammatory and anti oxidant properties of chamomile tea is very effective in reducing swelling and redness caused by ruptured pimples and skin damage. Keep the cold chamomile tea bag on areas of swelling for immediate relief.
Fades Dark circles under eyes
Chamomile tea bags are used to treat dark circles under eyes due its soothing and anti inflammatory action. Dip chamomile tea bags in hot water for 5 minutes and then allow it to cool for some time to make it tolerable for eyes. Place it on closed eyes and for 5 minutes and then wash eyes thoroughly with water. Repeat this for 2-4 weeks and you notice dark circles starts fading and gives relief from eye puffiness.