Apple Cider Vinegar for Dry Itchy Scalp
Sometimes there is an irresistible persistent feeling to itch the scalp and then we began to wonder on the possibilities of lice/eggs crawling over the scalp. But mostly the itchiness on the scalp is not just due to lice around; the causes could be scalp dryness, dandruff, fungal infections, stress, allergic reactions and unhygienic care to the scalp too. Application of apple cider vinegar is one of the best remedies to the above problems as apple cider vinegar effectively kills the germs, removes the dry flakes, nourishes & cleans up the scalp and conditions the hair. Read on to know how to use apple cider vinegar to treat itchy scalp.
Why to use apple cider vinegar treatment for itchy scalp?
Our hair quality is subject to the protein, moisture, and PH balance. Protein determines the quality, structure and strength of your hair and a healthy protein level is around 84 to 87%. Moisture adds shine, flexibility and vigor to the hair and its level is around 3%. The rest composition consists of salt, sugar and other traces. The PH (Potential hydrogen) level helps in the maintaining of the hair. Our hair is slightly acidic and its range is around 4.5 to 5.5 on PH scale. The level of 5.0 is considered an ideal point (Called isometric level) for a proper maintenance. Most hair products have strong alkaline especially the chemical shampoos, bleaches, hair dyes etc. but by using apple cider vinegar on the hair, one can bring the hair quality to isometric level which in turn leads to healthy and strong hair.
The Benefits of Apple cider vinegar for itchy scalp:
Due to dandruff: Dandruff can cause an itchy scalp. A bacteria, called “bottle bacillus” blocks up the hair follicles and generate dry flakes and itches in the hair. The Apple cider vinegar with its enzymes and acids help clear off the dry flakes and eradicate itchiness in the scalp.
Due to Lice: A tiny parasitic insects that normally resides on the human scalp and suck up the blood, lay eggs and cause intense itching due to its toxic saliva. With the help of apple cider vinegar most lice and its nits gets removed from the scalp.
Due to dry scalp: Our hair loses its natural oil due to constant use of chemical based treatments. With the apple cider vinegar one can restore back the natural moisture and end the dryness, itchiness caused to the scalp.
Due to scalp Psoriasis: The skin inflammation caused due to scalp psoriasis can effectively be reduced by apple cider vinegar treatment. It’s alpha- hydroxyl acids helps in soothing the patches, reduce flakes and thus get rid of itching.
Tips to follow when using Apple cider for itchy scalp:
- To reduce itching and to add volume/smoothness to the hair: put ¼ of apple cider vinegar and ¼ cup of warm water in a spray bottle and spray it on whole head, leave it for half an hour and wash off .
- To reduce dermatitis and to remove dry flaky skin on the scalp: Add some tea tree oil in apple cider vinegar and apply it on the scalp with the help of q-tip.
- For treating dry itchy scalp: add 1 tbsp of vinegar to 1 cup or more of water and rinse.
- For removing nits/eggs of lice: Add 1 tbsp of vinegar to a cup of water and rinse.
- To stimulate hair growth and to give nourishment to the scalp: apply the apple cider vinegar with the help of sponge directly on the scalp, wrap the head with towel & leave it for half an hour and rinse!
- To reduce flakiness/dandruff/psoriasis: Mix 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of water and apply it on the scalp, rinse off after 10-15 minutes. To make it more effective, leave the applied mixture on your head overnight and wash off in the morning.
Take care of your scalp with apple cider vinegar and forget about those dreadful tingle!