9 Effective Home Remedies for Motion Sickness
Most of the people travel a lot and loves to visit the new places, sometimes they might get affected by the odds of motion sickness. Motion sickness is also called as kinetosis or travel sickness. Depends on the reason it may be stated as seasickness, car sickness, and airsickness. Motion sickness is not a disease, anyone can develop motion sickness, but the intensity of symptoms depends on the sensitivity of the people. Almost 30% of the population experience motion sickness and it most commonly affects children, pregnant women.
What is Motion sickness?
Motion sickness is a psychological defence mechanism of the body against certain kinds of movements. In a human body, brain receives the signals from all the sensory organs like eyes, ears, sensory receptors in the joints and spine. Normally in the body all the sensory systems works together to provide a state of balance or equilibrium. Vestibular system is an important sensory system that contributes the perception of self-motion, head position and spatial orientation. It contains three fluid filled tubes that are arranged right angles to the each other. Whenever the head moves the fluid present in the tubes tilts accordingly. This fluid movement produces some sensory signals which travels to the brain and conveys the information about the movement. The brain captures, analyses and process the signals to maintain balance.
Whenever you are travelling your eyes sees the inside of the vehicle which doesn’t seem to be moving. But the vestibular system intercepts the movement and tells the brain that you are accelerating. So both ears and eyes send two conflict signals to the brain. Theories suggests that if brain receives two different signals from two different sensory organs it releases the neurotransmitters that stimulate the brain vomiting center which leads to nausea and vomiting.
What are the signs and symptoms of motion sickness?
The primary signs and symptoms of motion sickness may vary from individual to individual. The symptoms include
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and discomfort
- Drowsiness and frequent yawning
- Sialorrhea, increased salivation
- Cold sweats
- Short breath
Home remedies for motion sickness
Here are some effective home remedies which helps to overcome the symptoms of motion sickness
Peppermint is an effective home remedy for motion sickness. Menthol present in the peppermint helps to calm to stomach and lessens the symptoms of motion sickness.
- Place few drops of peppermint oil on your napkin and smell it whenever you feel the symptoms of motion sickness
- Drinking peppermint tea is very helpful in motion sickness. Just add few peppermint leaves to a cup of water and heat it for 5 min. Strain the liquid and drink it before you start the journey.
- Chew some peppermint leaves before travel or chew some peppermint flavored candy/chewing gum while in travel to get relief from motion sickness.
Ginger is considered as traditional home remedy for motion sickness. Ginger has an anti-emetic properties and helps in digestion.
- Take a glass of ginger juice and add a teaspoon of lemon juice to it. Mix it well and have this mixture before you start your travel to get relief from symptoms of motion sickness.
- Boil few slices of ginger in a glass of water for about 10 min. Strain the liquid and add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink this mixture before your trip to get relief from symptoms.
Refreshing smell of the lemons helps to stimulate the higher brain regions which are responsible for motion sickness. In addition lemons also helps to settle the stomach by reducing nausea and vomiting.
- Slurp a slice of lemon while travelling whenever you feel the symptoms.
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice to a glass of lukewarm water and add a tea spoon honey to it. Mix it well and have this mixture before you travel to get rid of motion sickness. (Read more about the health benefits of lemon water)
Travelling on an empty stomach worsens the condition of motion sickness. Before starting your trip it’s better to have an apple juice to avoid symptoms. Apples contain good amount of pectin which helps to settle the stomach. You can also sip small amounts of apple juice whenever you feel the symptoms of motion sickness.
Salt and savory crackers are very effective in preventing motion sickness. Crackers are easy digestible and keeps your stomach full. Salt crackers absorbs the acid in the stomach there by helps in reducing nausea and vomiting. Carry some saltine crackers with you while travelling and take small bites in intervals to prevent motion sickness.
Licorice root shows great antacid effects and helps in reducing the acidity of the stomach. It also helps to reduce the fatigue and queasiness associated with long journeys. You can chew licorice candy or drink licorice tea. It is not recommended to take the licorice if you are pregnant as it induces the contractions.
Fennel is better known for its digestion properties. I also settles the stomach upsets and helps to prevents nausea and vomiting. Nibble some fennel seeds during your trip or consume fennel tea before starting your trip to prevent motion sickness.
Saliva in the mouth triggers nausea and vomiting. Olives contains the compound called tannin which helps to combat the motion sickness by reducing the saliva production in the mouth. Take some olives whenever you feel the initial signs of motion sickness.
Ice chips or ice cubes: Ice is a simplest and effective home remedy for motion sickness. Ice helps in calming the stomach and helps to prevent queasiness. Suck some ice cubes whenever you fell the signs of motion sickness.
Which conditions aggravates the motion sickness?
Some conditions can aggravates the motion sickness symptoms like
- Alcohol consumption
- Sleep deprivation
- Reading in a moving vehicle
- Anxiety and stress
- Heavy diet etc.
Tips to prevent motion sickness:
Here are some effective tips to overcome the symptoms of motion sickness
- Acupuncture therapy by using wrist bands. Acupuncture is an ancient system of Chinese medicine that involves application of pressure in the specific points of the body for treating diseases. Wearing this wrist bands helps in stimulating Nei-kuan point on the wrist by applying the pressure, which in turn reduces nausea.
- While travelling select the seat that experience lower range of motion i.e. middle of the aircraft, front seat of the car, low level cabins in the ships etc.
- Keep an eye on your food consumption. Avoid drinking alcohol and heavy meals that contains oily, heavy acidic foods before starting your trip.
- Try to get adequate fresh air in the car by opening the windows.
- Warm your hands. Warming your hands helps to increase the blood flow to the brain by relaxing the blood vessels which reduces the sensation of nausea and vomiting.
- As stress and anxiety aggravates the condition, comfort yourself and close your eyes and relax by taking deep breaths.
- Listen some pleasant music or have some conversation with the friend. It helps to distract your brain and prevents nausea and vomiting sensation.
- Dehydration can worsen your condition. So try to hydrate yourself by supping small quantities of water at regular intervals.
- Good night sleep is very essential for the body. So try to sleep for ample time before you start your journey.
- Keep distance from the other who are sick as it increases the tendency to become sick.
- Try to minimize the head movements as low as possible as it exacerbates the condition.
- Try some over the counter antihistamines to get relief from motion sickness. Check the warning and precautions on the label before use as some antihistamines may causes drowsiness.
- Don’t read or watch a movie while travelling.
Motion sickness can be cured at home and does not require doctor’s need. If symptoms/ vomiting persists even after following these remedies, please consult your physician as severe vomiting can leads to dehydration.
Take care of yourself!