Make Your Yellow Teeth Whiter and Brighter
Teeth are the very important dental organ visible to the person opposite to you and convey the idea of your personality. It plays a vital role in smile, confidence and first impression of you. While white teeth stand out for a healthy smile and self assurance, yellow teeth or alternatively known as stained teeth are treated as conveying negative image of you. Sometimes it is embarrassing to show yellow teeth especially when you are in the company of opposite sex. It is mandatory to invest in your appearance including your teeth if you are in the modeling and entertainment industry. While light yellow tinted teeth is not uncommon to many of us and considered natural, the portrayal of white teeth as synonymous with beautiful smile has got entrenched with the society at large. Yellow teeth arise out of injury to the enamel on the teeth. Let us look at what are the causes of yellow teeth and then some natural ways to get wither teeth.
Causes of Yellow Teeth
- The first and foremost reason for yellow teeth is due to chewing or smoking tobacco. The nicotine in the tobacco gets absorbed in the pores of the teeth causing yellow staining of the tooth enamel. You can know some more bad effects of smoking here.
- Similarly, carbonated drinks like colas, hot beverages like coffees and teas, deep coloured fruits and fruit juices such as grapes, blue berries contain pigments which can turn teeth yellow when consumed regularly. (Also read disadvantages of junk food)
- Another natural cause for yellow staining of the teeth is the aging. As a person ages, the enamel gets worn out there by exposing the dentin which is naturally yellow tinted. Beside very fine holes also get developed due to aging on the enamel where pigment deposits penetrate causing teeth to look yellow.
- Sometimes diseases cause enamel to thin down exposing dentin which is naturally yellow.
- Some treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy of neck and head cause teeth to turn yellow.
- Some infections, especially in pregnant woman, can result in yellow staining of the teeth in the infants they give birth to.
- Antibiotic medicines like doxycycline and tetracycline can cause yellowing of teeth especially when administered in children below 8years.
- Anti allergic drugs, anti hypertension drugs, antipsychotic drugs can cause development of yellow teeth.
- Sometimes, mouthwashes and mouth rinsing compounds can cause yellow stains on the teeth.
- Even poor maintenance of dental hygiene can result in yellowing of the teeth. Your improper brushing and improper flossing will not be able to remove plaque. Then when you consume stain causing drinks and beverages it can cause yellowing of teeth.
- Sometimes yellowing can be hereditary and rooted in genetic condition at birth.
- Consuming of environmentally polluted water containing fluoride or excessive consumption of fluoride supplements, fluoride toothpastes etc can cause tooth turning into yellow.
- Childhood damages to the teeth due to fall can result in disturbance in the enamel formation which in turn would cause teeth to turn yellow.
Home Remedies for Whiter Teeth
- Avoid teeth contact with substances that cause yellow colour. Use of straws for drinking carbonated cola drinks, beverages such as coffee and tea can reduce the contact with the teeth and thereby reducing yellow staining. Alternatively, rinse your mouth thoroughly with plain water after drinking beverages like coffee, tea and the carbonated drinks.
- Apples, raw carrots and other crunchy foods such as cucumbers and broccoli act as natural scrubbers. When you chew them for longer time it will result in natural cleansing of the teeth. Besides, the acidic nature of apples and the fibre rich rough flesh will help removal of yellow stain.
- Clean your teeth with the paste of baking soda and one strawberry once in a while. It removes all the superficial yellow stains effectively. But excessive use can result in tooth decay. (Also Read: Baking Soda to Whiten Teeth)
- Gargling with hydrogen peroxide containing mouthwash regularly can reduce yellow staining. Consume it with caution as peroxide can cause irritation of gums besides making teeth sensitive.
- You may also make a paste of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and brush gently. Later brush with your regular tooth paste preferably the one which contain fluoride to make your teeth whiten.
- You may simply add baking soda to warm water and gargle followed by gentle scrubbing of your teeth which will make your teeth look brighter and whiter.
- You may also choose to use over the counter teeth whitening pastes from reputed oral care products manufacturers to get rid of yellow stains.
- You can scrub your teeth with orange peel regularly to bring down yellow tinge on your teeth.
- Charcoal is one of the oldest known teeth whiteners. Mix your paste with some charcoal power and gently brush your teeth regularly to make your teeth sparkling white.
- Gargling with lemon juice and scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel can help in teeth whitening.
- Apply salt mixed with few drops of lemon juice on the stained teeth and leave for couple of minutes regularly to get rid of tartar and yellow tinge.
- Massaging teeth with the walnut tree bark is one of the great yellow teeth home remedies.
- Salt is one of the fundamental dental cleansing agents known since ages. Mixing it charcoal and brushing teeth was very common in villages in older days. Common salt mixed with baking soda and rubbing on enamel is good for reducing yellow tinge on teeth. Use it with care as salt is rough and can cause damage to gums and enamel.
- Choose right lipstick especially the ones containing blue tinge as against the ones containing gold or yellow undertones which will enhance mild yellow stain to look more yellowish.
While you can go to a dentist in absolute necessity for teeth whitening process, these home remedies have proven to alleviate the condition of yellow teeth effectively when regularly followed. Always exercise care while handling rough ingredients else you may hurt your gums and enamel layer.