With unhealthy lifestyles and erratic working hours in the current competitive world, it has become very easy for most people as young as twenty succumb to the pressures of everyday life both on a personal and professional basis. One of the most obvious symptoms of every day pressures reveal themselves by way of premature graying of hair in youngsters at the age of twenty or at times abnormally so even as early as seven, which is anything but natural. Although the ageing process of going grey is natural, premature greying before its time is a sure cause of concern giving a great blow to their self-confidence, as they look older than their real age that becomes an embarrassment. To understand this condition a thorough understanding of the hair structure is essential.
Hair Structure: What Causes Grey Hair?
Hair, composed of cells akin to skin, secretes a sebum by sebaceous glands, which provide the required nourishment, rich colour, texture and sheen to the hair. However, the slightest deficiencies in the micronutrients affect the texture and colour of the hair due to depletion in the produced quality of serum. When a person starts ageing there is a decrease in the melanin secretion and production in the hair roots resulting in grey hair.
- Stress and anxiety
- Vitamin Deficiency
- Unhealthy diet
- Unclean scalp
- Hormonal imbalances
- Radiation and Chemotherapy
- Infectious diseases
- Chronic disorders
- Regular use of hair dryer
- Overuse of products for hair styling washing and colouring
- Constant exposure to wind and sun
Natural Home Remedies for Graying of Hair
Indian Gooseberry (Amla) for Grey Hair
From ancient times, the Indian Gooseberry remains a time-tested formula in hair care for improving colour and fortifying the roots. It is an amazing remedy for restoring colour and reversing premature greying of hair.
How to use Amla for Premature Graying Hair?
- Make a paste of deseeded gooseberry and apply it on the scalp. For best results, wash after twenty minutes in normal water.
- Applying a pack consisting of powdered gooseberry combined with lemon juice and curd and washed after forty-five minutes with tepid water reduces hair fall strengthens the root and promotes lustrous growth. Following this treatment on alternative days for three months, produce excellent long-lasting results.
- Powdered gooseberry boiled along with coconut oil and massaged regularly on the scalp at night also proves beneficial.
- Gooseberry pieces dried in the shade and boiled along with coconut oil until the pieces appear burnt. The darkened oil massaged regularly on the scalp proves beneficial for premature grey hair.
- Regular consumption of amla juice prevents premature hair greying.
- Using shampoos and other styling products containing harsh chemicals tend to damage the hair follicles. However, Soaking dried gooseberry pieces in water overnight is an excellent hair tonic. Use it as a final hair rinse, helps condition, and nurture the hair roots from within, making the hair appear glossy and lustrous.
- Every night massaging the scalp with a teaspoon each of gooseberry juice, almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice is a proven remedy for hair fall and greying. As an alternative remedy, massaging gooseberry juice with almond oil or with lemon juice (depending upon the availability) also proves beneficial.
- For a few hours, steep pieces of gooseberry in water using an iron jar. Include tea decoction and eucalyptus oil to the gooseberry pieces. Allow them to soak overnight. The following day combine curd, lemon juice and an egg to the soaked mixture. Apply on the hair and wash after thirty minutes. Repeat this treatment every fifteen days for best results.
Henna leaves for Grey Hair
Applying on the hair, a paste made of two cups powdered henna combined with one cup of yogurt, three spoons each coffee powder and mint juice, a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, a couple of spoons of basil leaves paste and leave the paste on the tresses for three hours. Wash with a mild herbal shampoo. This acts as a natural conditioner plus an outstanding remedy for premature grey hair.
Using a hair dye prepared by boiling henna leaves with coconut oil to a nice dark shade and applying the thick paste on the hair and followed by washing hair after a couple of hours time helps reverse premature grey.
For a rich hue, immerse henna leaves overnight in water. The next day applying them along with walnut pulp helps camouflage the grey and imparts a nice rich tone.
Boiling sixty grams of henna leaves with two hundred and fifty grams of mustard oil is a natural remedy for grey hair.
Applying a paste of powdered henna, egg, coffee powder and juice of half lemon on the hair and washed after forty-five minutes makes an amazing treatment for grey hair. Know more benefits of henna for hair
Curry Leaves for Grey Hair
Another excellent remedy for reversing and preventing premature grey is none other than the most disregarded curry leaves. Loaded with iron, curry leaves fortify hair roots and imparts a rich dark pigmentation. Boiling curry leaves with coconut oil and applying the oil to the scalp stringently for three months proves extremely valuable.
Boil equal proportions of curry leaves extract along with buttermilk on low heat for five minutes. Apply the lukewarm potion on the scalp and wash after half an hour. This besides preventing grey hair also reduces hair loss.
Include curry leaves in the diet and do not throw them away instead chew on the leaves for thick lustrous growth of hair. Include them in other forms in the diet by way of chutneys powders and buttermilk.
Ridge/Ribbed Gourd for Grey Hair
Ridge gourd is another effective natural remedy for premature greying of hair. Dry pieces of ribbed gourd in the shade and immerse them in coconut oil for three or four days. Then boil the oil with the pieces until the colour darkens leaving behind a charred residue. Applying this oil on the scalp improves the sheen and texture besides adding bounce and restoring pigmentation.
Bottle Gourd for Graying of Hair
Blend juice of bottle gourd with either olive or sesame oil and apply on the hair roots and scalp. This works as an excellent remedy for promoting thick dark hair. Read more about Bottle Gourd Benefits
Hibiscus for Grey Hair
Another remedy that has stood for ages is the hibiscus flower. It helps restore the natural colour to hair and provides all the essential nourishment required for strengthening hair promoting dense growth. Combine to form a paste henna, eclipta alba popularly known as bringraj in India, gooseberries, hone gone greens and hibiscus flowers. Apply this pack on the hair and wash after an hour. This provides body bounce and sheen to hair making it healthy .
Eclipta Alba (Bhringraj) for Greying Hair
One of the most popular remedies for treating grey hair in the principles of ayurveda is a natural herb, Bhringraj. Applying the ground paste of bhringraj enhance the hair follicles providing essential nutrients imparting a rich hue. As an alternative treatment, combine coconut oil to the paste which helps condition hair giving the strands a natural sheen.
Butter for Grey Hair
Butter obtained from Cows milk contains properties for preventing greying of hair. Melted butter massaged on the hair roots twice a week helps improve pigmentation keeping the hair healthy. Consuming a small blob of butter also helps.
Diet Remedies for Grey Hair
For treating grey hair besides following a regular hair care regimen diligently, working from within internally by means of a healthy diet is very essential.
Deficiencies in B group vitamins happens one of the major contributing factors towards premature grey hair. Inositol, PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) and pantothenic acid belonging to the B vitamin group prevent early greying of hair. Hence, it is vital to take a diet rich in this particular vitamin group. Consuming foods consisting of high doses of these essential vitamins such as liver, yeast helps a great deal to combat grey hair. In addition consuming green leafy vegetables, meat, poultry, dairy products, eggs, bananas, cereals and whole grain breads also proves beneficial. Consuming yeast and yogurt before meals also works well.
Shortage of Copper is another factor culminating towards early greying. Therefore, consuming foods rich in copper such as mushrooms, egg yolk, oysters, crabs, clams, almonds, lentils, cashew nuts, sunflower seeds, spinach and turnip greens prevent grey hair.
Selenium and iodine are the other important factors for retaining the dark pigmentation of hair. Some of the foods yielding iodine are fish, spinach, carrots and bananas. While selenium rich foods include sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, soya beans, wheat, corn, salmon, tuna and shellfish.
Folate/ Folic Acid
While taking folic acid supplements, consuming folate and folic acid in its natural available forms such as citrus fruits, legumes and liver sure works well.
Taking a protein rich diet is vital for melanin production that gives hair and skin their rich colour. For protecting hair from turning grey consuming foods that yield proteins like soy, cereals, whole grains, sprouts, chicken and turkey surely helps.
With improper hydration the essential nutrients find it rather difficult, to reach the hair follicles and offers the required nutrition. This condition leads to premature greying. Therefore it is imperative to drink at least eight glasses of water every day to keep the body hydrated.
Apart from these leading a healthy lifestyle by doing regular exercise and not missing eight hours of beauty sleep helps delay early greying of hair.