The crowning glory of every person, be it a man or a woman, is a thick shiny mop of hair. Hence, from time immemorial, lustrous locks have been a symbol of style and beauty speaking volumes about a person’s personality. To enhance appearance, people have fashioned their hair in innumerable styles, adorned with various decorative accents. Since then, various styles have evolved, especially for women and been recreated to suit the fashion needs.
Nevertheless, in the current scenario with constant exposure to harsh environmental pollutants and chemicals hair becomes dull and lifeless. A lot of pampering is required along with vital nutrients to restore their lusciousness. Therefore, to transform dull unattractive hair into long luscious tresses is quite simple. With these simple tips and home remedies for hair growth, one can attain shimmering glossy tresses, much to the envy of others.
Cycle of Hair Fall and Growth
The normal standard of hair for a scalp is about 100000 hairs that grow to a velocity of about half an inch per month. However, after two to six years the hair starts to fall after a resting period. Subsequently there is 85% hair growth while the remaining hair continues to rest. Nonetheless during the resting period there is a substantial loss of hair ranging from 50 to 100 strands per day. Any abnormal loss or thinning of hair requires consultation with the physician for a medical concern.
Chief Causes for Hair Fall
There are several medical and lifestyle factors contributing towards hair loss in most individuals. In most cases, there is no specific cause though, with Physicians suggesting a thyroid test to check hormonal imbalances, which is one of the factors for hair loss. [Also read home remedies to prevent hair fall]
Certain unresolved underlying medical condition may trigger hair fall. Although by addressing the problem, hair returns to normal growth. A genetic or family history besides a chronic medical illness, certain prescription drugs or eating disorders may precipitate hair loss. In addition, radiation and chemotherapy given to cancer patients kill the hair follicles leading to extraordinary hair loss. Abnormal hair fall also affects people with diabetes, lupus, thyroid disorders, polycystic ovarian syndrome in women and post pregnancy.
Infections on the scalp like ringworm, alopecia areata and certain fungal infections on the scalp have a tendency to stop hair growth and create bald patches. However, after proper treatment, normal growth is resumed.
Certain medications, prescribed to treat various ailments are another factor for thinning scalp, arresting hair growth. They include blood thinners, antidepressants and certain medications used for treating hypertension, diabetes, gout, arthritis, depression and birth control pills.
Stress and Trauma
Intense personal or emotional trauma and acute stress such grief, bereavement, new job, accidents, health issues surgery and the likes play havoc with the hair for six to eight months, losing about one thirds to two thirds hair.
Drinking alcohol and smoking causes insufficient blood flow to the scalp thus preventing hair growth.
Grow Hair Faster: Secrets for Luscious Locks with Lifestyle Changes
Eat Right – Diet to Promote Hair Growth
Diet plays a very important part in promoting hair growth. It is extremely important to nourish and nurture those tresses both from within and without. Therefore, a well balanced diet rich in vitamin B12, iron, zinc and calcium are essential to prevent hair loss. Since hairs contains protein known as keratin, a high protein diet consisting of fish, lentils, cheese, nuts and eggs apart from promoting hair growth improves general health. Combined with a sugar-free, low starch, fat-free diet, inclusive of fresh green and yellow fruits and vegetables promote healthy gorgeous looking hair.
Vitamin Supplements for Hair Growth
Besides consuming a well balanced diet, vitamin supplements enable rapid hair growth by strengthening the follicles. Biotin, Vitamins A, D, E, K, C and B6, silica, magnesium, zinc, sulphur, beta-carotene and folic acid are the essential vitamins required for attaining those tresses. However, it would be wise to use the supplements in moderation, as over use may cause adverse effects.
Drink Plenty of Water
Hair made up of 95% protein and 5% water help keep the tresses shimmering, conditioned and moisturised. Drinking eight to ten glasses of water everyday helps flush the body of unwanted toxins that are detrimental for health. Hence, adjusting the volumes of water in the body is indispensable to promote shiny, silky and fuller looking hair.
For rapid hair growth and gorgeous locks, meditation, yoga or regular exercise for half an hour, boost circulatory health, permitting the nutrients to penetrate the scalp, resulting in dense growth.
Another important factor for encouraging hair growth is not to miss on the seven to eight hours beauty sleep.
Grow Hair Faster Naturally: Tips for Encourage Hair Growth
Regular Trims for faster hair growth
The key for encouraging hair growth is to snip off the split ends. The hair ends up being weak and damaged due to split ends. Therefore, getting a regular trim of 1/4 inch, every three months stimulates the hair growth.
To maintain healthy hair, it is important to wash hair twice or thrice a week with a quality shampoo. Nonetheless frequent shampooing does more harm than good. Hence, hair rinsing with water and conditioning hair ends may prove beneficial.
Hair products for faster hair growth
Choosing products containing natural ingredients will make hair grow faster with a natural sheen.
Oil Massage for Hair Growth
Massage the scalp gently with oil, stimulate supply of blood to the roots providing sufficient nutrition and encouraging hair growth. Besides stimulating the follicles, regular massage helps strengthen hair.
Dressing up the hair regularly in up swept styles such as buns, up dos and rolls with the hair ends neatly tucked away without being exposed to air, stimulate hair growth. Also wearing a silk or satin scarf at bedtime will keep the hair protected from becoming entangled, limp dry and kinky.
What to Avoid
Tight hairstyles such as cornrows and ponytails have a tendency to irritate and cause stress to the scalp, leading to hair fall. This makes the hair weak and damage the root of the hair follicles, at times indicating permanent hair damage.
Rubber bands used to secure hair is a big no-no as they end up breaking hair from the roots. The same applies to wearing hair into ponytails as they cause extensive damage to the tresses. Hence, it would be wise to avoid them.
Avoid combing or brushing wet damp hair as they cause breakage and hurt the scalp.
Avoid harmful shampoos and conditioners with silicon or ammonium laurel sulphate as they have a tendency to strip the hair of natural oils, making hair limp and lifeless destroying even the most gorgeous tresses. Therefore, deciding on the right products that suit the hair type, containing natural substances is essential.
Using chemical styling products such as hair colours, dyes, bleach and other chemical treatments like rebonding, perms, creating permanent waves make the hair brittle reducing the speed of growth.
Heat applied to hair cause extensive damage to the hair cuticles. Therefore avoiding hair dryers and hot curling irons would enhance hair growth preventing breakage and split ends.
Since heat penetrating into the hair does harm, avoiding exposure of hair to the harsh rays of the suns UV rays for prolonged periods may result in sunburn on the scalp, split ends, thinning, weakening of hair making them dry and brittle. Therefore, to avoid exposure wearing a hat and using hair products with sunscreen, provide maximum protection.
Avoid being hard on the tresses. Use a wide toothed comb to brush the hair gently holding them close to the roots prevent untangling and knots, which is one of the common factors leading to hair loss.
From the Kitchen Shelves: Home Remedies for Hair Growth
- Lukewarm coconut oil applied to the scalp and washed the next morning.
- Massage hair with safflower oil for 20 minutes.
- Olive oil applied to the hair and washed with lukewarm water.
- Coconut oil mixed with lime juice applied to scalp and washed next morning.
- Vitamin E oil left on the scalp for thirty minutes and washed with a mild shampoo.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon applied on bald spots enhance growth.
- A drop of olive oil combined with an egg and a couple of teaspoons of honey, washed with shampoo after twenty minutes.
- Rinse hair with water used for boiling potatoes.
- Chopped onion added to shampoo and left for 15 days and used as a shampoo enhances growth.
- Onion juice applied to the scalp regularly gets rid of bald spots and patches. [More Benefits of Onion Juice for Hair Growth]
- Minced or crushed garlic applied to the scalp on areas of thinning thrice a week and washing with cool water after drying.
- Another effective home remedy for hair growth is Fenugreek or Methi seeds. Fenugreek seeds made to a paste applied to the scalp and rinsed with lukewarm water.
- Two teaspoons of cayenne pepper blended with a cup of castor oil applied to the scalp.
- Regular application of coriander juice on the head and scalp
- Application of parsley oil on the scalp works wonders.
- Ground black peppercorns and lime seeds in equal proportions ground to a paste, applied to the scalp and washed with shampoo after fifteen minutes.
- Rinse hair with apple cider vinegar to wash the residues of shampoo.
- Beer rinse for shiny smooth hair.
- Red gram and pigeon pea made to a paste and washed after fifteen minutes.
- Juice of Lime and amla (Indian gooseberry) applied to the scalp.
- Application of olive, coconut and almond oil mixed together in equal proportions.
- Coconut oil and amla oil boiled together and applied on the scalp.
- Egg white mixed with coconut oil applied on the scalp and washed after twenty minutes.
- Application of yogurt on the hair, washed after fifteen minutes.
- A teaspoon of cumin seeds added to a cup of olive oil applied on the scalp and washed after half an hour.
- Egg mixed with Mayonnaise and coconut oil applied on the head overnight, covered with a plastic bag and washed the next day proves one of the effective home remedies for hair growth.
- A cup of yogurt mixed with lime juice left on the hair for an hour and washed with mild gentle shampoo.
Other Simple Home Remedies for Hair Growth
- Drinking a glass of lettuce or spinach juice stimulates hair growth.
- Drinking a concoction of a teaspoon of mustard seeds added to hot boiling water and consuming while cool is beneficial.
- Hibiscus flower boiled in coconut oil and applied to the scalp stimulate hair follicles.
- Paste made with hibiscus flower and rose water applied to the scalp and rinsed with water makes hair glossy and long.
- Leaves of hibiscus ground to a paste, applied on the scalp and hair washed after half an hour helps growth faster.
- Aloe Vera leaves soaked in water and applied on the head for half an hour before washing with a mild shampoo enhances faster hair growth.
- Aloe Vera leaves boiled in coconut oil and applied to the scalp enhances growth.
- Finely powdered dried basil and neem leaves made to a paste with water applied on the scalp and washed after an hour makes hair healthy.
So, with a plethora of wonderful options, patience and determination, following these simple tips and tricks grow glossy, long rapunzel-like locks … why decide on ordinary hair when one can possess extraordinary hair of everyone’s dreams … Enjoy being the cynosure of all eyes!